I know just the thing for your Food Hangover.
Start with egg yolks and sugar.
Temper the eggs (bring them slowly up to temperature so they don’t scramble) by adding, very slowly, some almond milk (or other dairy-free milk) that you reduced by simmering with a cinnamon stick, whisking constantly.
Then just return the whole mess to the saucepan, add coconut milk (regular – not lite), and simmer again over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken. Stir in vanilla, ground cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg.
Chill & enjoy.
|Dairy-Free Egg Nog|
- 6 extra-large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 stick whole cinnamon
- 20 ounces (about 1 1/2 cans) coconut milk (full strength – not low fat)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 8 tablespoons rum (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar. Whisk briskly until thickened. Set the bowl aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, slowly heat the almond milk with the cinnamon stick, stirring frequently, until the cinnamon becomes fragrant and the milk has been reduced by about one-third. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and discard the cinnamon stick. Pour the reduced milk it very slowly into the egg yolk and sugar mixture, whisking constantly. This is how we temper the eggs, so they don’t scramble (see photo). Return the mixture to the saucepan, and stir in the coconut milk.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop, and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble a bit (don’t let it break into a full rolling boil, or it will curdle) and starts to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the vanilla, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon. Stir in the optional rum. Chill completely in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
With the mock ‘Milano’ cookies we’re going to make next week.
UPDATE: The Gluten-Free Milano Cookies Recipe is up!
Have a happy & healthy weekend. You deserve it.
P.S. If you haven’t yet, please pick up a copy of My Cookbooks! I can’t keep the blog going without your support!