Who & What I Am
Welcome to Gluten-Free on a Shoestring! I’m Nicole. I started this blog about halfway through 2009 to chronicle my family’s gluten-free life, and to share the gluten free recipes I was developing at home. My son, Jonathan, has celiac disease, but he also has 2 sisters (Bailey and Ava). And they all have friends. And kids and their kid-friends do not grade on a curve. Everything I have made for my gluten-free son since 2005 I have made with 1 goal in mind:
It’d better be good. Not “good for gluten-free.” Just plain good. Here’s how we get it done around here:
What To Do
- First, do some light reading! If you’re new to gluten free eating, begin with The Basic Rules of a Gluten Free Diet, to help you understand what is safe to eat, and what isn’t. There are links there to all sorts of important, reliable information. Then, read all about the gluten free flour blends I use—most of them all purpose gluten free flour blends—and you can even download an Excel spread sheet that does all the math for you if you want to build your own blend. Then, read this post about How & When To Use The Flour Blends, and why they work best in particular types of recipes. And if you’re wondering, here’s How I Stock My Gluten Free Pantry For Baking.
- Second, take a look at my Gluten Free Cookbooks. If you’re wondering where to begin, or which cookbook is right for you, my cookbook page will help you decide. You can also take a look inside each of the books on Amazon, with their “Look Inside” feature. If you’re relatively new to gluten free cooking and baking, my first cookbook is my flagship book and a perfect place to start.
- Third, read through the blog FAQs. If you have general questions, the answers might just be in there!
- Fourth, if you’re looking for which gluten free products and kitchen tools I recommend, check out my GFOAS Shop!
- Finally, while you wait for the cookbooks to arrive, get started here on the blog. A great place to begin is the Visual Recipe Index, with photos of every single recipe here on the blog, by category. It gives a nice overview. Here are some of the most popular posts on the blog, along with some of my personal favorites:
1. Let’s start with an easy recipe from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring Bakes Bread, Gluten Free English Muffin Bread. You’ve never had anything else like it!
3. The Top Ten Secrets To Baking Good Gluten-Free Bread (edited to reflect my new techniques for making gluten free bread from Gluten Free on a Shoestring Bakes Bread):
4. Gluten-Free Won Ton Wrappers (Skins) for everything from fried won ton noodles and “gluten-free Crab Rangoon to gluten-free Eggrolls. Oh, and I made Gluten Free Won Tons even better, and into everyone’s favorite, Won Ton Soup!
There’s plenty more where that came from. Don’t forget about that Gluten Free Recipe Index! It’s worth the price of admission alone.
Oh, and so you never miss another new recipe, sign up to receive my Emails. It’s our favorite price (free) and you can easily unsubscribe any time. I’m really glad you’re here. Let’s get started!