Easy Homemade Cereal Bars
- 3 cups (350 g) raw unsalted nuts (I recommend a combination of cashews pecans, peanuts and slivered almonds)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 2 cups (60 g) (unsweetened) gluten free crisp rice cereal
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) virgin coconut oil melted and cooled
- ¾ cup (252 g) honey you can use a mix of honey and/or Lyle’s Golden Syrup, or all one or the other
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chopped and melted (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 300°F. Line a quarter sheet pan (a shallow rimmed 9 x 13-inch baking sheet) with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the raw nuts, chopped chocolate, rice cereal, and salt, and mix to combine. Break up any large pieces of nuts or chocolate.
- Add the oil, and the honey and Lyle’s Golden Syrup, and mix to combine well. The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, and spread it into an even layer. Cover with another sheet of unbleached parchment paper, and press firmly to compress the mixture into an even layer.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment, and place the pan in the center of the preheated oven.
- Bake until the mixture is lightly browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Without removing the bars from the baking sheet and using a bench scraper or butter knife, slice into bars by cutting down the length in the center, and then across into two rows of 7 bars each.
- Place the bars in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or in the freezer for about 5 minutes, until completely chilled.
- Remove the bars from the refrigerator or freezer, and separate them along the scored lines. Drizzle with the optional melted dark chocolate and allow to set. Serve or store the bars in the refrigerator or freezer.