Expandex Modified Tapioca Starch for recipes in Gluten-Free on a Shoestring Bakes Bread (For full information on resources related to the Bread Book, please see this post on gluten free bread resources):
- Gluten Free You and Me (affiliate link) sells Expandex online at amazon.com. This resource was not available when my bread book first came out, but it’s by far the most convenient source now.
- Montana’s Gifts of Nature: As of 12/14/13, Montana’s Gifts of Nature has 800 pounds of Expandex in stock available for purchase. You must order over the phone at 1 (888) 275-0003, but they are generally available to take orders 7 days a week. If you don’t get an answer, Larry said to leave a message and he will call you back. Montana’s Gifts of Nature supplies Nature’s Market (see #2 below) with the Expandex that they sell (as well as many other retailers).
- Nature’s Market: This is a health foods store in Washington State that carries Expandex. They have Expandex in stock and they keep it in stock (it’s their best seller in their online store). They also carry NOW Foods brand whey protein isolate, if you want to get those both in the same place.
Ultratex: Ultratex is another type of modified tapioca starch that is sold online at amazon.com in two strengths: Ultratex 3 and Ultratex 8. Ultratex 3 is not as strong as Ultratex 8, but both are considerably stronger than Expandex modified tapioca starch. At times the link above (to amazon) has the product listed as out of stock. If that is the case, try willpowder.net. Neither the Expandex people nor the Ultratex people can or will tell me the relative strength of Expandex and Ultratex 3. I have been experimenting with Ultratex 3 and I have arrived at a formula for building Gluten Free Bread Flour to use in the recipes in Bakes Bread. It is as follows (please pay careful attention, as all 3 percentages have been changed):
1 cup (140 g) Gluten Free Bread Flour Using Ultratex3
105 grams Mock Better Batter all purpose blend (or Better Batter itself)
30 grams unflavored whey protein isolate
5 grams Ultratex 3
For readers in Canada:
- Expandex Tapioca Starch is available in Canada through www.qualifirst.com in 1 kilogram and 5 kilogram packages. According to a Canadian reader, “the company has warehouses in Vancouver & Toronto and ships via Canada Post (reasonable) or UPS (quick but expensive).” Direct link to product.
For readers in Australia:
- Some readers have purchased Expandex on eBay.
- Others have purchased Ultratex 4, which should be 4 times as strong as Expandex, as Ultratex 3 is 3 times as strong. Some readers have reported using it with success in place of Ultratex 3 in the formula I have indicated above. I haven’t tried that myself, so I can’t make any promises but it sounds reasonable!
For readers in the U.K.:
- Expandex is sold under the label “Isabel’s Baking Fix” in the U.K. It is available on amazon.co.uk.
Gluten Free Flours: everything you need to know about how to build your own gluten free flour blend that you can use in all of my recipes—including detailed instructions on how to build copycat versions of popular blends like Cup4Cup and Better Batter.