Authentic Paleo Pizza
- Stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (optional)
- Pizza stone (optional)
- 1 cup (120 g) finely ground blanched almond flour
- 1 ¾ cups (210 g) tapioca starch/flour plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons (6 g) instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup (2 ⅔ fluidounces) fluid ounces warm water
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon (21 g) honey
- 1 (50 g (weighed out of shell)) egg at room temperature, beaten
- Pizza toppings as desired
Make the pizza dough.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, place the almond flour, tapioca starch, and instant yeast. Whisk to combine well with a separate, handheld whisk. Add the salt, and whisk again to combine.
- Add the water, olive oil, honey, and egg, and mix until a sticky batter forms. If you’re using a stand mixer, mix until a uniform batter forms with the paddle attachment and the mixer on medium-high speed.
- If you're not using a mixer, switch to a spatula or wooden spoon, and mix until a uniform, but shaggy, dough forms.
Set the dough to rise.
- Dust your hands with a little tapioca flour and press the dough into a ball, kneading it a bit to get any floury bits mixed in. Return the ball of dough to the bowl, and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Set the dough in the covered bowl in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until the dough swells to about 150% of its original size.
- Place a pizza stone or large, overturned rimmed baking sheet in the oven and preheat your oven to 375°F.
Shape the dough.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface, and, with lightly tapioca floured hands, transfer the ball of dough to the parchment.
- Pat the dough out into a circle about 12 inches in diameter, pushing out toward the edges to form a puffy rim of crust.
- Drizzle the top of the raw dough with olive oil and brush or spread it with clean hands evenly across the top of the crust, including the edges. Pierce the top of the dough (excluding the crust) with the tines of a fork.
Bake the dough.
- Carefully transfer the parchment with the dough onto the pizza stone or sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes or until the pizza dough is set and just beginning to brown.
- Remove the dough from the oven and add your desired toppings. Return to the oven and for about 5 minutes more or until your toppings are melted and/or bubbling and the edges of the pizza are golden brown.
- If desired, set the oven to broil and broil the pizza for up to two minutes until browned. Remove from the oven, slice, and serve hot.