Gluten Free "Nilla Wafers" | Nabisco-style
- Food processor with steel blade or stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment
- 1 ⅓ cups (187 g) all purpose gluten free flour blend (I used Better Batter)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your blend already contains it
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (109 g) packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (112 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 (50 g (weighed out of shell)) egg at room temperature, beaten
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (1 fluid ounce) milk at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line rimmed baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper and set them aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, add the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar.
- Whisk with a separate handheld whisk or pulse to combine. Add the butter, egg, and vanilla, and beat or process until well-combined. Add the milk, and beat or process until the dough clumps.
- Either scoop dough by the level tablespoonful, or pipe an equivalent amount through a pastry bag fitted with a plain piping tip (for more consistent cookie sizing) about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- The dough will spread during baking, but not a lot. If you have piped the dough, with wet fingers, gently flatten the top of each raw cookie if anything is sticking up.
- Place the baking sheets in the center of your preheated oven and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the cookies are uniformly golden brown in color.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets. Store any leftover cookies, completely cooled, in a sealed glass container at room temperature to preserve crispness.