Gluten Free Pizza Bites
- 2 ¼ cups (315 g) all purpose gluten free flour blend (I used Better Batter; click thru for appropriate blends)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces low-moisture mozzarella cheese or semi-hard cheese like Asiago diced (use vegan cheese for dairy free)
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese finely grated or shredded, or miniature pepperoni pieces
- 1 ½ cups (12 fluid ounces) milk at room temperature (See Recipe Notes)
- 2 (100 g (weighed out of shell)) eggs at room temperature, beaten
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter melted and cooled (optional) (See Recipe Notes)
- ⅓ cup Tomato Sauce plus more for dipping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Using a cooking oil spray, liberally spray the wells of a 24-cup miniature muffin tin or a standard 12-cup muffin tin and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, basil, garlic powder, and oregano, and whisk to combine well.
- Add the diced mozzarella cheese and 2/3 of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or miniature pepperoni, and toss to coat.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the milk, eggs, and optional butter, and mix until just combined.
- Fill the prepared wells of the muffin tin nearly all the way full of the batter, and smooth the tops with wet fingers.
- For some more flavor, spoon about 1 teaspoon of tomato sauce on top of the batter in each well, and smooth the top a bit.
- Sprinkle the tops of each with a pinch of the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or a few miniature pepperoni rounds, pressing down gently to help it adhere.
- Place the tin in the center of the preheated oven and bake until puffed and very pale golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, except for melted cheese (about 20 minutes for the minis, 25 for the standard size ones).
- Allow the bites to cool in the muffin tin for 10 minutes before removing and serving warm, with tomato sauce for dipping.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, tomato sauce, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or pepperoni.
- Store any leftovers at room temperature and refresh in the microwave or taster oven. Wrap tightly and freeze for longer storage, then defrost at room temperature and refresh.
Adapted from Rachael Ray. Recipe originally published on the blog in 2015. In 2020, recipe tweaked slightly, most photos and video new.