Isn’t that the old adage? When life gives you lemons, make lemon cupcakes.
I was getting ready to take my son to a birthday party this past Saturday, & he was dipping his toe into the pool of self-pity, feeling sorry for himself that he couldn’t eat what everyone else was going to be eating. I offered to let him choose what sort of cupcake I would bring for him. This is what he chose. And if it’s good enough for Jonathan, it’s good enough for the rest of us, for cryin’ out loud. My other kids were there too, & they asked for some of Jonathan’s cupcakes. Gluten shmuten.
Glazed Lemon Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest & juice of 1 lemon (reserve 1-2 tablespoons for glaze)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat is fine, just don’t go non-fat)
1 – 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard 12-muffin tin & set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, & salt). Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine butter & sugar until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time blending after each addition, then vanilla. Add zest and juice (except for final 1-2 tablespoons of juice) & blend. Alternate adding the dry ingredients & sour cream to the mix, beginning & ending with the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
4. Divide mixture evenly among the muffin cups & bake in the center of a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
5. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the glaze. Combine the confectioner’s sugar and the reserved lemon juice until smooth, adjusting the amount of confectioner’s sugar to the desired consistency. If you add too much sugar, just add a few drops of water to thin the glaze. Pour the glaze over the cakes while they are on a wire rack. Allow to set (chill glazed cupcakes in the refrigerator to set if your environment is humid).