1/3 cup (2 2/3 fluid ounces) dry white wine (like pinot grigio), chilled (See Recipe Notes)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 eggs (100 g, weighed out of shell), beaten
3 cups (420 g) all purpose gluten free flour (see Recipe Notes)
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, roughly chopped or shredded and chilled
7 tablespoons (84 g) nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
Your favorite filling (see Recipe Notes for suggestions)
Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, whisked)
The gluten free flour blend: I highly recommend using a flour blend like Cup4Cup (or our mock Cup4Cup blend), which I use like a pastry flour. It’s perfect for creating light and flaky pastry-style recipes like this empanada dough. You can also use 80% Better Batter gluten free flour (here, 336 grams), and make up the remaining 20% with 10% milk powder (42 grams) and 10% cornstarch (42 grams).
Dry white wine: I buy small bottles of pinot grigio for use in this recipe and in risotto. If you don’t have an open bottle, or won’t use wine in cooking, you can replace the wine with equal parts white grape juice and sherry vinegar.
Filling suggestions: Sauté chopped onions and minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Remove aromatics from the pan and set aside. Add bulk sausage, ground beef, or ground chicken, and cook until no longer pink. Add tomato paste and reserved aromatics and mix to combine. Allow the filling to cool for about 10 minutes before using to fill empanada rounds.
Cooking suggestions: Bake shaped empanadas in a 375°F oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Shallow fry in 1/2-inch frying oil at 350°F for 5 to 7 minutes, filliping as necessary to brown on both sides.
In a small bowl or measuring cup with a pour spout, place the wine, vinegar, and eggs, and whisk to combine very well. Set the mixture aside.
In a large bowl, place the flour blend, xanthan gum, and salt, and whisk to combine well. Add the chopped butter, and mix to combine. Working quickly and using the thumb and forefinger of each clean hand, flatten the chunks of butter into flat disks. Add the shortening, and mix to combine, pressing the shortening down into the dry ingredients with the underside of your mixing spoon. Loosen any bits stuck to the bottom of the bowl. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the wet mixture. Mix until just combined, ensuring that all of the dry ingredients are moistened. With clean hands, squeeze the dough together into a disk. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Much longer, and the dough may be difficult to roll out.
Unwrap the chilled dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. I like to divide it in half and work with one half at a time. Press the dough into a flatter disk with the palm and heel of your hand, and sprinkle very lightly with more flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle that’s about 1-inch thick, moving the dough frequently and sprinkling lightly with flour to prevent sticking. Fold the dough over on itself like you would a business letter, and roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 3-inch rounds from the dough, and remove the surrounding dough to reroll later. Sprinkle each round with a bit of flour, and roll again a bit thinner into a nearly 4-inch diameter round. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Sprinkle each round of dough with a bit more flour, and stack the rounds on top of one another. Cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to use them. They’re best filled and fully shaped the same day, although after filling and shaping you can freeze them for finishing another time.
Filling/cooking suggestions: See Recipe Notes.
Originally published on the blog in 2011 (!). Recipe changed, text nearly all new, photos and video new.