If I tell you this recipe, will you still love me? It’s so easy. I love making yeast breads. It’s so satisfying, that back-to-earth feeling. I love kneading the bread, … more
If I tell you this recipe, will you still love me? It’s so easy.
I love making yeast breads. It’s so satisfying, that back-to-earth feeling. I love kneading the bread, letting it rise under a towel, the whole ritual. But sometimes, near-instant gratification doesn’t suck too much, either.
Gluten Free Cornmeal Bread
1 cup Arrowhead Mills Cornmeal
1 cup + 2 tBsp. Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
4 tsp. baking powder (yes, 4)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (use a scant 1/4 cup, really)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk (any kind)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup neutral oil, like canola
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients (up to and including the salt) in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk milk, eggs and oil until well blended. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. It’s batter, not dough. It’ll look like it. Don’t worry.
4. Pour into a greased 9″x9″ loaf pan & bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and it’s browned on top/around the edges.
5. Slice & eat. If you go light on the sugar, this is really nice for a sandwich. Or just slather with some butter. Either way, you won’t be sorry.